With the right words you can build your business, sell, motivate, persuade, create an image, build a community, boost profits, educate, tell your story and more. As an experienced writer/editor I love providing the right words to people who need them.
Demonstrated success in writing and editing newsletters, magazines, press releases, annual reports, catalog sell copy, marketing collateral material, manuals, speeches, website content, brochures, white papers, consumer information content, feature articles, and advertising copy such as taglines and advertisement copy for both print and digital format. Experience in interpreting specialized material, including technical, from a wide variety of sources and translating complex information into clear, concise communications content—from emotional calls to action to simple, yet creative, delivery of information. Write in a range of voices and styles for varied projects with diverse audiences. Proven mastery in research, fact checking, analysis, planning, and project management; and identifying and executing communication strategies to best accomplish organizational goals.
Comfortable in a deadline-driven environment, excellent active listener and a strong collaborative team player. Proven ability to partner with art directors, designers and account executives to ensure that copy tone and style are consistent with visual tone and style. Relentless and versatile learner with keen enthusiasm for studying Internet trends and technology. Monitor leading communications and demographic trends to track the best way to communicate—keeping up with trends in usability and online marketing, and traditional communications outlets.
Senior Writer | Marcom Studio | Hallmark
Developed product/program and collateral material selling tools for the sales force and retailers that contributed to an average
of $4-billion in sales. Produced an average of 100 catalog projects with almost 4,000 pages annually. Wrote and formatted all copy in InDesign, and directed all aspects of copywriting from concept to production.
- Introduced new product/program launches, cause-related marketing/integrated marketing programs and merchandising/retail environment programs.
- Positioned itty bitty™ plush for Hallmark Gold Crown® retailers by writing catalog copy with a more playful voice. In 2013, there was a 350% boost in Valentine’s Day sales and a 250% boost at Easter.
- Selected for a Social Media Writer rotation for Hallmark Facebook. Increased posts to 1 – 2 daily from 2 – 3 a week. In 2 months, wrote enough posts for the editorial calendar from September 2013 to December 2013. From September to November, page likes increased 26%. Post reach (shares) increased from 4,700 in September to an average of 100,000 with one post reaching 371,960 shares.
- Implemented copy strategy changes to redesign catalog layout for a 24-page reduction—redesign used as model for distribution forecast that achieved a 138,840-page reduction for all catalogs.
- Adapted U.S. catalogs to Canadian guidelines quickly and accurately when all Canadian catalog production was transferred to the Marcom Studio. Added French translation. Achieved complete on-time delivery of all Canadian catalogs with no additional writing staff because of efficient process design. Selected to develop a new, introductory 150-page in-store consumer catalog for Customization Studio under stringent deadlines—then produced additional 50 pages for phases 2 and 3.
Innovation / Creative Problem Solving
- Streamlined new writer training. Developed, produced and narrated QuickTime process training movies. Developed and updated 100-page training manual.
- Added value at no extra cost with idea to embed audio and video of products in catalog PDFs posted on retail
Manager | Editorial & Communication Services | Litton
Wrote annual and quarterly financial reports on subjects covering advanced electronic products and programs in the defense, industrial automation and geophysical markets for Fortune 100 company. Supervised photo sessions for the reports as well as managed publication production and printing.
Managed development, introduction and compliance for new corporate identity program, which included writing and producing corporate identity manuals. Wrote and produced brochures, booklets and slide and video presentations, and executive speeches. Produced videotape, “Putting Technology to Work.”
Manager | Development Communications Pepperdine University
Determined editorial content, researched, wrote, edited and directed production of Pepperdine People, an alumni/development magazine and Alumni Voice, a newspaper. Wrote copy for brochures, program biographies and presenting speeches. Consulted with other university departments on publications, including editing symposium presentations for the book, The Computer Challenge.